Let The Music Grow
The HSO recently raised more than $1.9 million to spark artistic innovation, grow our education programs and add excitement to concerts. These initiatives reach beyond the HSO’s standard, budgeted resources and have already created changes that our audience can see and hear! The campaign raised money to fund five project areas:
- An Artistic Innovation Fund has been created to invest in new works of music; stellar guest artists, high-tech multi-media shows and special events incorporating other art forms like dance, theatre and video.
- An Educational Opportunity Fund will expand music education programs that are already delivering positive outcomes in local schools.
- A Sound & Lighting Enhancement Fund is funding on-stage improvements like acoustical shells, sound shields and music stand lights. We have also purchased a new set of timpani and other instruments. New audio and lighting upgrades will also enhance our Capital BlueCross Pops concerts.
- A Stage Extension for the Forum auditorium will give us a more flexible performance space. A removable stage extension is being constructed to add 10 feet to the Forum stage for special HSO productions. This extension will allow the HSO to stage major choral/orchestral works and Broadway-style productions that are currently impossible to execute.
- The Champions Fund for Deficit Elimination has eliminated a long-time accumulated deficit of $350,000. The HSO has been operating from a balanced budget for several years, but carries a long-term deficit that was accumulated over many prior years. This portion of the campaign was funded with contributions from the Harrisburg Symphony’s Board of Directors and former Directors.