You don’t have to be a professional musician to get involved with the HSO and be an HSO ambassador!
People of all ages and backgrounds are involved as volunteers at nearly every level of the HSO. From ushering at concerts to assisting with in-house mailings, our volunteers are a critical part of keeping the Harrisburg Symphony running smoothly.
You can play a part in keeping the music alive. Click below to learn more.
Ticket viewers and ushers
Being an usher or ticket viewer at an HSO concert is one of the most “hands-on” ways that you can help the HSO.
Duties may include:
- Viewing tickets via mobile device or paper
- Making sure doors to the concert hall are closed and opened at appropriate times
- Handing out the programs
- Assisting patrons to their seats
- Make sure that latecomers are seated discreetly after the concert begins
- Staying after the concert to gather used programs for recycling
- Assist with CD sales
Concert volunteer attire includes: white blouses or shirts, neckties for men, black skirts or pants, and comfortable black shoes.
After patrons are seated, concert volunteers are encouraged to stay and enjoy the concert.
Help with Education Events
Whether you are a retired music teacher, a musician, or you just have a love for classical music; the education department of the HSO has opportunities for you to contribute your time and talent!
Ways to get involved include:
- Harrisburg Symphony Youth Orchestra auditions, rehearsals, and concerts
- Young Person’s Concert Series
- Accompany professional HSO musicians on school visits
- Welcome to the Concert activities at Masterworks concerts
Please note, all interested education volunteers must obtain state and federal clearances (Act 34, Act 151, Act 114). For directions on obtaining clearances, click here.
Assist with special projects
From time to time, the HSO has a need for volunteers assistance with office related tasks, such as mailings and data entry.
Volunteers are called on an individual basis and asked to help with such projects. The time requirement differs for each project. We are willing to work around your schedule, and would be more than happy to provide you with complimentary tickets to some of our most popular performances in appreciation for your time and talents.